Translate

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Brave new world by Aldus Huxley

 
 
I just finished this book.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  First off, I can't believe this book was published in 1931.  It feels much more modern then that.  It has left me feeling cold to be honest.  This book depicts the future world without soul.  I am not referring to soul in a religious sense.  But soulless in the sense of feeling human.  Love, doesn't exist.  Instead people are urged to give themselves freely to each other sexually.  Babies are not born but grown in labs with futures already certain.  You are either a worker or an intellectual.  The populace is encouraged to take a drug which will always make them feel better.  Soma the drug of the masses.  But what happens when you bring in a person from the outside world?  Someone who believes in God and has read Shakespear? 
 
I'm not sure why I didn't like this book as much as I imagined I would.  Maybe I'm not intellegent enough to grasp it?  I'm not sure the reason but it took me forever to finish this book.  Its not a very long book but it took me ages....which usually means I'm not totally into it.  I rate this book 7/10.
 
If you are smart as a whip and usually get stuff then this is the book for you!
 
I am going to tackle Jack London's The Cruise of the Snark.  I hope it is interesting.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment